We all start out determined to meet our resolutions but the reality is, a few months from January 1st they usually fall by the wayside. This article addresses some common ones and is designed to help you stick to your guns this time and see those intentions through!
IF YOU WANT TO DO MORE HOME COOKING
There are many reasons why trying to eat out less is a good idea.
For one thing, your wallet will thank you. Dining at a restaurant means paying a high markup on your food so owners can afford chefs and wait staff, rent, maintenance, kitchen tools and appliances and so on. And more often than not, it also requires you to shell out even more on parking.
It also takes a toll on your health and your physique. According to a paper published in the European Journal of Clinical Nutrition, regardless of where, eating out means consuming approximately 200 more calories than eating at home. This has to do with factors such as the heaviness of the food (salt and sugar are staples in most restaurant kitchens), as well as bigger portions and more time spent around the table.
WHAT WILL HELP
- Invest in a good knife set. Having sharp, precise knives for various types of food and requirements will make cooking way more appealing.
- For busy working parents, a programmable slow cooker is a brilliant buy. Simply add in ingredients the night before and program it so your soup, stew or whatever’s on the menu is ready when you walk through the door.
IF YOU WANT TO MAKE SELF-CARE A PRIORITY
Maintain your sense of well being regardless of what’s thrown your way by regularly practicing self-care; taking some time to do something special for yourself and become fully present in the moment.
WHAT WILL HELP
- Treat yourself to a bubble bath twice a week. Add a diffuser to your bedroom or living room that’s filled with lavender (a calming essential oil shown to decrease stress and anxiety levels).
- Snuggle up by the fireplace with a good book and a cozy throw and pillows. Even something as minute as lighting a candle and listening to your favourite music can help improve mood and reduce stress.
IF YOU WANT TO TURN YOUR HOME INTO MORE OF A SANCTUARY
We spend a ton of time doing unpleasant things like sitting in traffic and waiting in long lines at cash registers. Whether you’ve just moved into a new condo or have been in the same place for decades, elevate your downtime by adding items that will improve your experience and make friends and family want to visit more often.
WHAT WILL HELP
- Enjoy artisanal coffee beverages or fresh juice from the comfort of your own home by equipping your kitchen with a fully automatic espresso maker or a high powered juicer.
- Swap out those shabby towels with fresh and fluffy ones.
- Get a top-of-the-line duvet that will make winter nights infinitely warmer.
- Spring for a novelty item like a fondue or waffle maker to turn any old night in into a special occasion.