We know it’s fall when we can enjoy a warm salted caramel mocha beverage. So why not create a dessert with this delectable flavour pairing? Follow the recipe below for the most delicious cupcakes of the season.
- ½ cup cocoa power
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 ¼ cups all-purpose flour
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 2/3 cups granulated sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- ¾ cup sour cream
Salted Caramel Frosting:
- ½ cup salted butter
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 ½ cups powdered sugar, sifted
- Sea Salt
- Caramel Sauce
- Chocolate pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line standard-size muffin pans with paper liners.
- Whisk together the cocoa powder and hot water in a bowl until smooth. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt.
- Combine the butter and sugar in a medium saucepan set over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the mixture is smooth, and the butter is completely melted. Transfer the mixture to the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium-low speed for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing each time. Add the vanilla and then the cocoa mixture, beating until smooth.
- Reduce the mixer speed to low, and add the flour mixture and sour cream slowly.
- Pour the batter into the liners until about 2/3 full. Bake for 20 minutes then let cool completely.
- For the frosting, beat together the butter and cream on medium speed for 5 minutes. Add in the brown sugar and salt and beat until combined. Reduce the speed to low and slowly add the powdered sugar. Increase the speed to medium until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- To finish, pipe frosting on the top of each cupcake, drizzle with caramel sauce, add chocolate pieces and sprinkle with a pinch of sea salt.
SHOP THE ITEMS
(hover over the image to shop the items!)