PREPARATION 30 MIN
COOKING 1 H 45 MIN
- 1 lb (454 g) boneless beef blade roast, fat removed and diced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 cup (250 ml) port wine
- 2 cups (500 ml) beef broth
- 3 dried dates, pitted and diced
- Salt and pepper
- 3/4 lb (375 g) pappardelle
- 1 1/2 cups (375 ml) baby arugula, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) cold butter, diced
- 3 oz (85 g) crumbled blue cheese (Ciel de Charlevoix, Blue Benedictine, Blue d’Elizabeth, etc.)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) walnuts, toasted and chopped
- In a large saucepan, brown the meat in the butter. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate.
- In the same pan, sauté the onion. Add butter, if needed. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute. Return the meat to the pan and add the port wine. Bring to a boil and simmer gently for about 5 minutes. Add the broth and dates. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently for about 1 hour and 30 minutes or until the meat is tender. Season with salt and pepper.
- In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until tender. Drain and keep 125 ml (½ cup) of the cooking water aside.
- Toss the pasta with the braised beef, arugula, and butter. Add cooking water, if needed. Serve and garnish with the cheese and walnuts.