Preparation 25 minutes
Soaking 12 hours
Cooking 1 hour 15 minutes
Servings 6 to 8
- 1 cup (200 g) dried red kidney beans, rinsed and drained (see note)
- Water, for soaking
- 1 lb (450 g) pork shoulder, excess fat removed, cut into large dice
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) olive oil
- 1 lb (450 g) lean ground beef
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp sweet paprika
- tsp ground cumin
- 1 can (28 oz/796 ml) diced tomatoes
- 1 cup (250 ml) chicken broth
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Place the red beans in a bowl. Generously cover with water and let soak overnight at room temperature. Add water as needed to ensure the beans remain covered. Rinse and drain.
- Preheat the pressure cooker on the SautО function for 2 minutes. Brown the pork in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Set aside on a plate.
- Brown the beef in the pressure cooker, breaking it up with a wooden spoon and adding more oil as needed. Season with salt and pepper. Add the onion, jalapeЦo, garlic and spices. Cook for 3 minutes while stirring. Add the red beans, pork, tomatoes and broth. Cover and select the Bean function. Set the machine to cook for 35 minutes.
- Let the pressure release and remove the lid. Adjust the seasoning and add the cayenne, to taste.
- Serve over rice, with corn chips or as a filling for baked potatoes.