- 12 oz of heavy whipping cream (lactose free works too!)
- 6 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 1 1/2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
- 8 oz freezer friendly glass jars with lids (3 of them). Mason jars work well but we’re loving these. They have a cute cork lid and a slot to hold the spoon that they come with.
- In a bowl or pitcher, add all the ingredients and stir. You just want to break up the vanilla bean flesh, and ensure that the vanilla extract and the sugar are evenly distributed.
- Pour 1/3 of the mixture into each jar and place the lid. If your lid is made of cork like ours, we suggest that you place plastic wrap between the lid and jar. It will avoid spilling and keep the cork from absorbing the cream.
- Shake each jar until the cream forms soft peaks (about 3-4 minutes). You can scoop out a spoonful and turn it upside down to check the consistency. If it is your first attempt, check the contents frequently to avoid over shaking.
- Freeze for at least 4 hours. Enjoy!
Tip: You can pretty much add anything to this ice cream. Once the soft peaks have formed, go ahead and mix in cookie crumbs, toffee bits, chocolate morsels, sprinkles, fruit, or cake chunks. You can also swirl in caramel, chocolate sauce, peanut butter or any fruit puree or jam.