This time of year is perfect for baking, but if you and your family are looking to make something more savoury, why not try out some bagels! Everyone loves a good bagel and what could be better than making them at home. Using our Lékué at-home bagel set, this will be a recipe you will keep coming back to.
Makes: 6 bagels
- Oil or nonstick spray
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoon granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar (dough)
- 2 tablespoon butter (room temperature, cubed)
- 1 2/3 cup bread flour (will need extra when kneading)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Water for boiling
- Seasoning- can be anything you like! I prefer Everything bagels, so ingredients for that topping are below:
- Dried Minced Onion
- Garlic Flakes
- White Sesame Seeds
- Poppy Seeds
- Kosher Salt
- To start, pre-heat the oven to 395 ºF/ 200ºC
- Take ½ cup of the warm water and add in the yeast and ½ teaspoon of sugar. Cover and do not stir. Let the mixture sit for 5 minutes, then stir to combine ingredients until they dissolve.
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, salt, and remaining 2 tablespoons of sugar together. Make a small well or hole in the middle of the mixture and pour the yeast and sugar water in. Add in the butter.
- On a floured surface, Mix dough together until it is combined and has an even texture.
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a lightly greased bowl or on a piece of parchment paper. Cover with a kitchen towel or aluminum foil for 40 minutes so the dough can rise/proof.
- After the dough has proofed, divide the dough into 6 even balls about (70g/2.5oz) and push them down the cone shape of the bagel mold. Leave to stand for 20 minutes.
- Set up a baking sheet with a cooling rack.
- In a large pot boil water and baking soda and when the water is boiling slightly submerge each mold for 8-10 seconds.
- Place the molds on the baking sheet and when all are finished boiling, remove the cooling rack and place directly on the baking sheet.
- Top with everything bagel seasoning or whatever other seasoning flavour you would like!
- Bake in the molds for 15 minutes until they are a light golden colour.