The newest food trend to hit TikTok and Instagram is the delightful pancake cereal. Basically, it’s cereal made out of tiny little pancakes.
The fun part about these social media food trends like the whipped coffee, is that they’re pretty easy to make and tend to use ingredients you’ll already have in your home.
In order to make this new viral recipe, you simply use your favourite breakfast pancake recipe and master the art of making dime-sized dollops of batter. Making the pancakes small enough to eat with a spoon does require a few tips and tricks, so we’ve listed some below to make sure your social media post is picture-perfect and delicious.
Watch the video to see how it’s done:
Our favourite pancake recipe is the plump pancake recipe from Ricardo.
- 2 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- Softened butter, for cooking
Once you’ve followed the instruction to mix all the ingredients together, place the batter in a squeeze bottle. When your batter is ready, drop small dollops of batter into the preheated pan. Once small bubbles form on the surface and the edges, flip the mini pancakes to cook the other side.
How to Serve Pancake Cereal:
There are different ways to serve up these mini pancakes. Some people tend to pile on all the pancakes, add maple syrup and butter and eat as-is. Some people fill up a bowl and add milk. Some are doing a combination of the two.
It’s entirely up to you, but we suggest trying it with milk at least once for the full effect of enjoying a bowl of pancake cereal.
Feel free to add different toppings like berries, yogurt, chocolate chips, sprinkles, crushed oreos, or anything else your taste buds desire.
Tips for Pancake Cereal Success:
- You don’t need to make plain pancakes, you can choose to follow any pancake recipe you enjoy.
- Keep the pan on low heat until you have parcelled out all of the batter. This will encourage a more even cooking time.
- If you’re planning on adding milk, consider cooking the mini pancakes for a little longer to make them crispier. This will help prevent a quick onset of sogginess.
- You’ll quickly notice that it is harder to flip mini pancakes than regular-sized pancakes. There are two approaches you can use. The first one uses a large spatula to group as many pancaked together in fewer flips. The second requires a pair of chopsticks to flip them over one-by-one.
Looking to impress everyone on social? Try these accessories for your latest pancake cereal creation. Don’t forget to tag us using @linenchest!
- Squeeze Bottles by Oxo
- KitchenAid Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Non-Stick Frying Pan
- Aster Cereal Bowl
- Confetti Silicone Spatulas
video via @thenaughtyfork