What do you get when you mix a sugar cookie with a cinnamon roll? These cinnamon roll cookies! They are perfectly sweet, filled with cinnamon sugar and topped with a vanilla cinnamon glaze. What could be better? Not only do they look like the cutest little cinnamon rolls, but they taste like them too. Watch the video to see how it’s done + get the recipe below:
- 2 cups flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 cup icing sugar
- 2 tablespoons milk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla
- Dash of cinnamon
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugar using a handheld or stand mixer.
- Add in egg and vanilla.
- Mix in the dry ingredients.
- Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for 35 minutes to an hour.
- After the dough has chilled, remove it from the fridge and let it come back to room temperate (15-20 minutes).
- While the dough is coming to temperature, make the cinnamon filling by combining all of the listed cinnamon filling ingredients and set aside.
- Once the dough is ready, divide it in half and roll each half out into a large (approximately 7” x 12”) rectangle, about 4-5 mm thick.
- Coat each rectangle with the cinnamon filling. Then, roll each rectangle up lengthwise into a cylinder. Wrap each cylinder of dough tightly in plastic wrap and pop them in the freezer for 15 minutes to chill.
- While the dough is chilling once again, preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Remove the chilled dough from the freezer, slice into ¼ inch rounds and bake for approximately 10 minutes (or until the edges are slightly golden).
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool on the cookie sheet for five minutes prior to transferring to a cooling rack. Repeat until all of the cookies are baked.
- While the cookies are cooling, prepare the glaze by combining all of the glaze ingredients. Add the milk in little by little to achieve the desired consistency.
- Once the cookies are fully cool, drizzle the glaze over top. Allow the glaze to set for 10-15 minutes before serving.