Summer is upon us and you know what that means? Berry season! These mixed berry muffins are packed with berries and filled with jam, making them the perfect way to showcase the seasonal sweets. Add them to your next brunch spread or enjoy them as an afternoon snack; either way, you won’t be sorry! Watch the video to see how it’s done + get the recipe below:
- 2 cups flour (plus a few extra tablespoons to coat berries)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sugar (plus a little extra to sprinkle on top before baking)
- 1 cup buttermilk
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups mixed berries, fresh or frozen (I used strawberries, blueberries and raspberries)
- ¼ cup berry jam of choice (I used strawberry)
- ½ cup flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees and line/grease a muffin pan with 12 liners. Set aside.
2) In a small bowl, prepare the streusel topping by combining all of the listed streusel ingredients. Set aside for later.
3) In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
4) In a large bowl, combine melted butter and sugar using a handheld or stand mixer.
5) Add in buttermilk, eggs and vanilla. Mix to fully combine.
6) Add in dry ingredients and mix just enough to incorporate. Don’t worry about fully mixing in the dry ingredients since the berries still need to be added.
7) Toss the berries in the extra few tablespoons of flour to prevent the juices from colouring the batter. Then fold the berries into the batter. Do not overmix!
8) Using a 45ml portion scoop, drop one scoop of batter into each liner. Spoon in one teaspoon of jam on top of the base layer of batter. Then, top each muffin off with one more scoop of batter.
9) Sprinkle some of the prepared streusel mixture on top each muffin and then finish them off with lots of sugar to get a nice, crispy top.
10) Bake the muffins for five minutes at 425 degrees, then lower the oven to 350 degrees and bake for another 25-30 minutes. Do not open the oven door at all while baking to ensure the muffin rise to that perfectly domed muffin top that we all know and love!