As the Holiday season approaches, there’s nothing quite like the scent of baked cinnamon goodies filing the home. These Snickerdoodle Cookies are the perfect Christmas treat and can be enjoyed with a glass of cold eggnog.
If you want to bring the magic of Christmas to your taste buds this year, read on to discover how to make this Christmas cookie recipe to treat the whole family to sugary cinnamon goodness.
· 2 ¾ cups (358g) all-purpose flour
· 2 tsp cream of tartar
· 1 tsp baking soda
· ½ tsp salt
· ¾ cup unsalted butter
· 1 ½ cups (310g) sugar, plus 3 tbsp for rolling
· 2 large eggs
· 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
· 1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1. Prepare your oven by heating to 400°F. You will also need some parchment paper to place your cookies onto.
2. Mix together flour, baking soda, cream or tartar and the salt and set aside for later.
3. Add room temperature butter and 1 ½ cups of the sugar to a bowl and cream for a few minutes until it becomes fluffy.
4. Combine the eggs to the mixture one at a time and add the vanilla extract.
5. Next, add in your dry ingredients to the bowl slowly, mixing until they are combined into a dough.
6. In a separate bowl, mix the cinnamon with three tablespoons of the sugar.
7. Now, take a tablespoon of the dough and roll it into ball, then dip it all over in the sugar cinnamon mix. Do this with all of the mixture and place evenly onto the parchment paper, leaving around 2 inches between each ball.
8. Bake them at 400°F for around 7-8 minutes before removing from the oven. Leave to cool for a couple of minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.
Top Tips For Making Snickerdoodles
· Always make sure to cream the sugar and butter together with air folded in until it is light and fluffy
· Don’t continue to mix the dough together more than needed or the cookie will come out too dense
· For most cookies, 350°F will suffice, but the higher temperature creates both chewiness and softness
· Try not to make your cookie balls too large, they need to flatten out and become thin, not too thick
Can Snickerdoodles Be Frozen?
Yes, if you want to make these ahead of time, simply create the dough balls and freeze them. Then when it’s time to get them ready, simply remove from the airtight container and place on a piece of parchment paper for an hour or two to thaw, then bake as per the instructions above. If you’re short on time, you can cook from frozen, but be sure to give them an extra few minutes in the oven.
So, there you have it, now you can make delicious Snickerdoodle cookies any time you like, and they go down well at Christmas parties, or just something for the kids to enjoy when they arrive home from school. For more Christmas recipes, check out LC Living to bring a touch of magic to your festivities.